Name: Kate Holt, Age: 26, Years Running: 14
800m: 2.07, 1500m: 4.14, 3000m: 9.21, 5000m: 16.03, 5K Road: 16.11, 5 Mile: 27.37.
- ESAA English Schools Track: Junior: 1500m Champion 2006 & 2007
- SIAB Schools International Junior: 1500m Silver
- ESAA English Schools Track: Senior: 1500m Bronze
- AAA U17 & U15 Championships: U15 1500m Champion
- AVIVA ENGLAND U23 & U20 Championships: 1500m Bronze
- CAU Inter-County Championships (Inc England Athletics Senior Championships): 1500m silver, 5000m silver 2017 & 2018.
- Staffordshire Track and Field Championships: U13 1500m Champion, U15 1500m Champion, U17 1500m Champion, U20 800m Champion, U23 1500m Champion Midlands U17 & U15 Track and Field Championships: 1500m Gold (u15), 1500m Silver (u17).
- Midland Senior Track and Field Championships: 1500m Gold.
- Staffordshire Cross Country Champion: 2005 – Present
- Midlands Cross country: U17- Gold & Silver, U20 – Silver, Senior – Silver x2, Gold
- ESAA English Cross Country Championships: U15 Champion, U17- 8th & 14th, U20- 4th
- National Cross Country – U17- 8th & 12th, U20- 4th, Senior: 21st, 3rd, 10th
- Liverpool Cross Challenge (European Trials): U20- 3rd, U23 -5th
- European Cross Country Championships- U20 – 17th, U23- 20th
- Great Edinburgh Cross Country: 29th. Relay: Gold. I
- ntercounties Cross Country: U13- Silver. U15, 6th, U20 – Gold, Senior, 9th.
- Cross Country International Appearances: Burgos 2015, Talayuela, 2017.
- Alsager 5- 2014- 6th, 2015- 3rd, 2016- 6th, 2017- 3rd, 2018- 8th
- Mid Cheshire 10k (Inc England National Road Championships- Bronze.
How did you start running?
In Primary School one of my friends signed me up for the cross-country team without telling me. I wasn’t best pleased but went along because she wanted someone to go with her. I was in year 3, competing against year 6’s and came 2nd behind a year 6 pupil. From then on, my Head Teacher at the time convinced me to go to the local athletics track (Northwood Stadium), and I haven’t looked back since. So, I really owe it to my teacher.
What are your running ambitions?
I would like to make the Great British team on the track, as I have done so on cross-country. I would love to go to the commonwealth games in the 5000m when it’s on home soil, compete well in the final. I am aiming to run under 15.30 for the 5000m and 9 minutes for the 3000m. It would also be fantastic to medal at the British Championships over 5000m in the near future. I also aim to continue to be one of the best female distance runners in the UK, stay injury free and healthy.
Have you changed your diet to help your running and if so how?
I have always eaten relatively healthy. I was just always given substantial portion sizes as a child. I would go to friends houses after school for tea and be that kid who went home afterwards and have tea again at home. Now as I have got more serious about running, I have smaller portions but more frequently as I am fuelling and recovering steadily. I make sure that I eat a balance of all food groups and ensure that my recovery is right. I’m very relaxed about my food. I always say to people, back when Steve Ovett, Steve Cram and Sebastian Coe were running, they didn’t have strict diets, and they were running quicker than people are now. So, for me, while it can help, you can also become too fixated on what you think you need. If you have all the food groups in your diet frequently and are eating the right amounts, you can’t really go wrong, and I haven’t yet!
What running shoes do you use?
Brooks Launch 5
How do you keep yourself injury free?
- Eat well
- Keep on top of your stretching and maintenance work.
- Rest when you need to/ don’t be scared to miss a run or session if you’re feeling abnormally tired.
- Communicate with your coach.
- Try and get enough sleep.
- Get in the gym at least once a week.
What is your best advice to a new runner?
Have fun with what you’re doing. Set yourselves some goals and targets, so you feel like you’re getting somewhere. Try and work training around your lifestyle, so it doesn’t feel like a chore.
If you could run with anybody in history, who would it be and why?
I have run with some famous athletes, but if I could choose anyone I would run with Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe from friends) because I absolutely love her, and I would probably spend the entire run laughing.